Students in this study abroad program will complete two courses and earn a total of six semester credits. The core course, entitled “Communication for Medical Professions,” is designed to help students to communicate more effectively with Spanish speakers requiring medical attention and to learn how cultural norms can influence interactions between medical professionals and their patients. Students will extensively study the Costa Rican healthcare system. In addition to the core course, students will complete a standard advanced Spanish grammar course. Students who have already completed advanced grammar courses at their home university are welcome to select a culture course from the Intensive Language and Culture Program. Students are advised, however, that the “Communication for Medical Professions” course is very time-intensive and culture course options may be limited due to scheduling conflicts.
Pre Departure Services
@api Online System
Orientation Materials and Resources
Access to International Phone Plans
API Alumni Network
On Site Services
Medical and Life Insurance
Excursions (overnight, day)
Social and Cultural Activities
Welcome and Farewell Group Meals
Housing (including meals and laundry)
Language and Culture Tools
Re-Entry Materials and Support
Alumni Network and Global Leadership Academy
- Minimum 3.0 G.P.A.
- Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Open to students with four semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent
- Completed API application
- University contact information form
- One letter of recommendation
- One official transcript
- Entry requirement: valid passport with supporting documents
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are encouraged to contact API prior to applying for more specific information about entry requirements.