What You’ll Study
TOTAL CREDITS - 15 credits per semester
Students who choose to study abroad in Edinburgh at Heriot-Watt University with API will enroll in courses with Scottish and other international students. Heriot-Watt specializes in a variety of science and engineering subjects but is also a leader in subjects such as brewing and distilling, business, fashion, design, and textiles.
API students receive their transcript from Heriot-Watt University upon completion of their program.
Students are allowed to choose courses from the first, second and third year classes. Not all courses are offered every semester or every year. The course selection may vary, and no course is guaranteed. Some courses may have prerequisites, and some courses may require additional fees for labs, equipment, etc.
Registration takes place upon arrival; however, we recommend that after consulting the API website for course listings, students have 6-8 courses approved by their home university prior to departure (of which they will enroll in 4), in order to allow for scheduling conflicts and the possible unavailability of certain classes.
Students should use these course listings when completing the course preregistration form (available in the student’s @api account) for the API application. Course times, course descriptions and the semester in which a course is offered are subject to change and no course is guaranteed.
Heriot-Watt University award credits based on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF). Students should aim to take 60 SCQF credits per semester. Each course is normally worth 15 SCQF credits, meaning that students would take four courses per semester. Each course is roughly equivalent to 3.75 U.S. credits (if students are taking 30 U.S. credits in an academic year). Courses can usually be taken from first, second and third-year options (subject to pre-requisites).
- Classes taught in English
- Ranked 13th in the U.K. and 2nd in Scotland (Guardian)
- Top in the U.K. for Chemistry and Civil Engineering (Guardian)
- 1st in U.K. for Chemical and Electrical Engineering (National Student Survey)
- Top 10 in the U.K. for Accounting & Finance, Building and Town & Country Planning, Business, Management & Marketing, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Mathematics (Guardian)
- Named “Scottish University of the Year” 2012 and 2013
- Top ‘100 under 50’ 2014 – (Times Higher Education World University Rankings)
- Honored with “Scottish Student Union of the Year”
- Great location for S.T.E.M. and business students