What You’ll Study
TOTAL CREDITS - 12-16 credits per semester
Students who elect to study abroad with API at the American University of Sharjah (AUS) choose from a range of undergraduate classes open to Emirati and international students.
API students receive a transcript from the American University of Sharjah upon completion of their program.
AUS awards credit in a similar fashion to most U.S. universities. Students generally take 4-5 classes in order to receive 12-16 credit hours per semester. Additional courses may be taken for an additional fee. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they are enrolled in the required amount of semester credits to meet requirements of the home university. In all departments, entrance to specific courses is subject to the approval of AUS and the completion of certain prerequisites.
Not all courses are offered every semester or every year. The course selection may vary, and no course is guaranteed. Some courses may have prerequisites, and some courses may require minimal additional fees for labs, equipment, etc. The campus is fully integrated, with male and female students attending the same courses with the same professors (though housing is separated by gender).
Pre-registration generally takes place online prior to arrival and is finalized once the students are on campus. We recommend that after consulting the API website for course listings, students have 10 courses approved by their home university prior to departure, in order to allow for scheduling conflicts and the possible unavailability of certain classes. There is a 3-day add/drop period at the beginning of the semester at AUS.
ARABIC COURSE INFORMATION
Arabic language courses are offered each semester (though the offerings may vary from term to term). A list of highlighted options may be found below (and all courses can be accessed through the AUS Course Link below).
- ARA 105 (Elementary Arabic I) and ARA 106 (Elementary Arabic II) is typically offered every semester (i.e. fall and spring)
- ARA 203 (Intermediate Arabic I) is typically offered every fall semester
- ARA 204 (Intermediate Arabic II) is typically offered every spring semester
- Other Arabic Department courses of interest include, but are not limited to:
- ARA 314 Media Arabic
- ARA 340 The Social Context of Arabic
- ARA 360 Arab Linguistics
If you have any questions while looking at the course schedule or filling out your application, please call the API office at (800) 844-4124.
- Courses in English and Arabic
- Courses with Emirati and international students
- International excursion
- Transcript from U.S. accredited institution (American University of Sharjah)
- U.S. accreditations (AACSB, ABET, NAAB, Middle States)
- Visa cost included