API offers English teachers fully-funded positions in Costa Rica! The Costa Rican Department of Labor sponsors young adults to receive English classes in their local community and have the chance to better their current life situations. In order to receive classes, Costa Rican students must qualify for government assistance based on their current income and employment status; the students must be able to dedicate 30 hours per week for English classes. The goal of the program is to help these students gain employment at local businesses where a basic to intermediate level of English is required. Teachers will be asked to dedicate 30 hours per week to English lessons with one group of students. The placement aims to give volunteers to explore Costa Rica and immerse themselves in their local community and culture.
Pre Departure Services
Orientation Materials and Resources
Access to International Phone Plans
API Alumni Network
On Site Services
Housing and Meals (3 meals per day with local host family)
Medical, Life Travel Insurance
On-Site Support from Partner, Host School, and Host Family
On-Site Orientation (2-3 days in San José)
Visa (acquired on-site)
Books and Syllabi to Guide Teaching
Local Transportation Stipend
Discounted Online TEFL Course
Re-Entry Materials and Support
Alumni Network and Global Leadership Academy
- Minimum 21 years old
- Native English speaker
- Bachelor's degree
- ESL teaching experience
- TEFL Certificate
- Basic Spanish language skills
- Background check
- Cover letter including: Your goals/motivations for choosing this particular program. Background skills, training or experience you have that may be relevant. Special hobbies/interestsPrior international study/travel/volunteer/work experience.
- Your goals/motivations for choosing this particular program.
- Background skills, training or experience you have that may be relevant.
- Special hobbies/interests
- Prior international study/travel/volunteer/work experience.