API’s Category Scholarships Terms and Conditions
By submitting an application for API’s Category Scholarships, you agree to the following terms & conditions, which are final and binding in all respects.
- Scholarships only apply towards a qualifying API program.
- Students must demonstrate financial need.
- Students may apply for any scholarship for which they qualify.
- Students may apply for more than one scholarship, but might not win multiple.
- Individual students are subject to scholarship maximums when applying and/or being eligible for multiple API-funded scholarships.
- Students must submit one application per scholarship for which they wish to be considered.
The Category Scholarships include:
- API Community or Technical College Scholarship – Applicant must be currently enrolled at a U.S. community or technical college.
- API Diversity Scholarship – Applicant must be one or more of the following: U.S. military veteran, a non-traditional student (30 years old or older), a student with a disability, a minority student, and/or a LGBTQ student.
- API First Generation Scholarship – Applicants who do not have a parent or guardian who attained a four-year degree from a US institution or students with parents who completed a four-year degree at an institution outside the U.S.
- API-JCU Diversity Scholarship – Applicant must be accepted to API’s Direct Enrollment Program at John Cabot University in Rome and identify as black/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian/Asian-American, or Native American.
- API STEM Scholarship – Applicant must be majoring in an area classified as a STEM field (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics)
- API Student Athlete Scholarship – Applicant must be a student athlete participating in college athletics (both current and college-bound athletes across all divisions of the NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA to apply.
- API-JCU Diversity Scholarship – Applicants must be planning to apply for API’s Direct Enrollment Program at John Cabot University in Rome and identify as black/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian/Asian-American, or Native American.
- API Photo or Video Scholarship – Applicants should be film, photography, animation, motion graphics, majors and/or be able to demonstrate their expertise in photography and videography.
- API High School Scholarship – Applicants must participate in either our high school summer or gap programs.
- API Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarships – Applicants who have been awarded a Gilman scholarship will be eligible to receive up to $1,000 in matching contributions from API for a study abroad program, or up to $500 in matching contributions from API for an intern abroad program.
To earn the Scholarship, students must:
- Complete the API Category Scholarships Application by the deadlines listed below.
- For Summer Programs, the scholarship application deadline is February 28.
- For Fall/Academic Year Programs, the application deadline is February 28.
- For Spring Programs, the application deadline is September 15.
- Then, complete a qualifying API program application at https://connect.apiabroad.com/create-account and satisfy all of the conditions of participation set forth in the applicable program (including, but not limited to, applying for, being accepted into, paying for and fully participating in an API program).
- Be selected by the API Scholarship Committee as a Scholarship recipient.
- Students participating in customized/faculty-led programs are NOT eligible for this scholarship.
- Virtual Programs are disqualified from inclusion.
- In order to be eligible to participate in the Category Scholarships you must satisfy all of the conditions of participation set forth in the applicable program (including, but not limited to, applying for, being accepted into, paying for and fully participating in an API program).
- The Category Scholarships is inapplicable for any other API program or timeframe other than as expressly included in the Category Scholarships set forth above.
- Subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- API reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify, cancel or suspend the Category Scholarships.
- By participating, you agree to release and hold harmless API from and against any and all claims of any kind arising from or in connection with participation in the Category Scholarships.
- By offering the foregoing program, API does not represent or warrant that travel to any particular area is without risk, and API is not liable for damages or losses that may result from travel to any particular destination.
- In the event you fail to fully satisfy your eligibility obligations for the Category Scholarships, then you agree to reimburse API for its direct costs pursuant to the Category Scholarships.