Gap, intern, or study abroad in
Enrich the time between high school and college in a gap program, differentiate your resume with an internship, or get class credit while you study abroad. Along the way, you’ll attend prestigious universities, enjoy career-accelerating experiences, and immerse yourself in Scotland’s lifestyle and culture.
API Students in Scotland
API offers programs in two culturally and historically rich Scottish cities – Edinburgh and Stirling. Edinburgh serves as Scotland’s contemporary capital and is home to a thriving arts and culture scene. Stirling is an ancient capital of Scotland and offers students the opportunity to live in a true university town, mid-way between the major centers of Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Scotland has seen many centuries of high-quality learning and is recognized as being one of the most inventive nations on Earth. It’s also friendly and safe and combines a strong sense of its own identity with a multicultural community spirit. Dotted amongst spectacular landscape are lively cosmopolitan cities with vivid and varied art, sports and social scene.
Learn about studying abroad in Edinburgh
Cities in Scotland with API Programs:
- Medieval cobblestoned streets, a majestic castle and a skyline of turrets, domes, and spires
- Cosmopolitan city surrounded by a dramatic landscape of mountains, valleys, and lochs
- Compact city center – very walkable downtown!
- World-famous music and multimedia festivals
- Year-round sporting and cultural activities
- A city of contrasts: elegant Georgian facades of the New Town and winding, twisting alleys and hidden courtyards of the medieval Old Town
- Vibrant cultural scene of live music, performing arts, museums and art galleries
- Abundant green space and more trees per capita than any other city in the U.K.
- Campus has its own loch and castle!
- Situated between Scotland’s two largest cities, Stirling gives students a true Scottish university experience while being surrounded by green hills, friendly people, and history around every corner.
- Stirling offers a full menu of performing arts, nightlife and shopping combined with the community feel of a smaller city
- Embrace the comfortable feeling of a smaller university that attracts students from across the globe!
- Walk out of your dorm and be on the foothills of Dumyat, a large hill with popular hiking trails and a gorgeous view from the top
- Large number of on-campus clubs and activities, actively inviting international and study abroad students to participate
- Explore the life and legacy of William Wallace, popularized by the movie Braveheart, at the Wallace Monument, the top of which offers a stunning 360 view of Stirling!
- Step back into history in Stirling and visit Stirling Castle, an important Scottish castle where famous monarchs, such as Mary Queen of Scots, were crowned
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
API is committed to providing enriching international experiences to its participants. We believe in the importance of promoting acceptance, dignity, and respect among people of all backgrounds. API demonstrates its commitment to inclusiveness by providing affordable and accessible programs, offering individualized support, and conducting ongoing diversity education and training for all API staff. No matter who you are or where you come from, API will support you during your journey abroad.
Read more about Latin America on our blog:
Twenty years ago today (August 15, 2001), I walked into the API office to begin what I thought was a job. Little did I know that when I opened that door I was taking my first steps into a career that would span two decades, nor did I anticipate that this position would lead to lifelong friendships with individuals who have enriched my life exponentially and who have become like family to me.
Years ago, I studied abroad in both Madrid and Paris, and these experiences were so impactful that I knew with complete certainty that I wanted to pursue opportunities that would allow me to travel and to continue engaging in intercultural exchange.
By: Jason Kouba, Vice President of University Relations One of my favorite things to do is travel. To me, there is nothing better than having the chance to experience what life is like in another...
“Studying abroad was always something I wanted to do and I do not think I could have found a better place and program for my semester abroad. I fell in love with the country and I am already planning to go back. API was extremely helpful throughout the whole process, and provided us with so many opportunities and resources throughout the semester. I made some incredible memories, met wonderful people and truly had the time of my life!”