Gap, intern, or study abroad in
Enrich the time between high school and college in a gap program, differentiate your resume with an internship, or get class credit while you study abroad. Along the way, you’ll attend prestigious universities, enjoy career-accelerating experiences, and immerse yourself in Ireland’s lifestyle and culture.
Students on Excursion in Ireland
It is said that Ireland, once visited, is never forgotten. The Irish landscape has a mythic resonance, and the country’s history is almost tangible. In terms of Ireland’s landscape, the gentle rainfall, called “soft weather” by the locals, really does create 40 shades of green and quite a few rainbows as well. Ancient moss-covered ring forts crouch in lush valleys, while stone-strewn monastic ruins and lone castle turrets brave the wind on nearby hilltops. Many come to Ireland with high expectations of its romantic scenery, a blend of the raw and rugged with mist-covered verdancy, and seldom return home disillusioned.
Meet Some of Our European Resident Directors
Cities in Ireland with API Programs:
- Capital of Ireland and seat of Irish parliament
- Top tier universities
- Charming Irish hospitality
- Famous pubs and restaurants
- Impressive architecture, abundant green spaces, and the lovely River Liffey
- Strong artistic, literary, and musical traditions
- Vibrant nightlife and very active student population
- Often described as a city that feels like a large village
- Seat of Gaelic language and heritage
- Cultural capital of Ireland, and the 2020 European Capital of Culture
- Charming coastal city of cobblestoned streets and stunning water views
- Known for its festivals, exceptional food and its fantastic art scene
- Great live music, cozy pubs and active student population
- World-renowned theaters
- The National University of Ireland, Galway ranks in the top 1% of universities worldwide
- Top destination for Irish water sports and hiking
- 3rd largest city in the Republic of Ireland, and one of the oldest in the country
- Over 400 castles in County Limerick
- Attracts renowned street artists from across the world who adorn the city with vibrant and colorful murals and moving messages
- King’s Island, Newtown Perry, St. Mary’s Cathedral, and excellent shopping at the famous Milk Market
- Fabulous hiking/biking trails
- Ideal for music students and music lovers: the University of Limerick houses the Irish World Music Centre, the renowned Irish Chamber Orchestra and the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance
- Known as “Sports City”, Limerick offers excellent sports facilities and plenty of opportunities to participate in and watch Irish sporting events
- Diverse array of courses across a wide spectrum of academic disciplines available, and the opportunity to live alongside Irish and other international students for a truly cross cultural experience
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
API is committed to providing enriching international experiences to its participants. We believe in the importance of promoting acceptance, dignity, and respect among people of all backgrounds. API demonstrates its commitment to inclusiveness by providing affordable and accessible programs, offering individualized support, and conducting ongoing diversity education and training for all API staff. No matter who you are or where you come from, API will support you during your journey abroad.
Read more about Europe on our blog:
There is still time to apply for Fall 2022 and Academic Year 2022-2023 programs! Below are the application deadlines* for our study and intern abroad programs, as well as virtual programs for the...
Studying abroad this spring? The adventure of a lifetime is right around the corner…only a few more logistics to think about before it begins! - by Emily Nagle, Director at API The road leading up...
API and Richmond to extend unique, experiential learning opportunities including study abroad programmes to students across the US and the world. Richmond, The American International University in...
“I absolutely recommend API, Ireland, and Galway! The memories and friendships I gained from my trip abroad through API will surely last a lifetime and I could not be more grateful.”