Experience study abroad in
Enrich the time between high school and college in a gap program or differentiate your resume while you’re getting class credit studying abroad. Along the way, you’ll attend prestigious universities, enjoy career-accelerating experiences, and immerse yourself in Costa Rica’s language, lifestyle and culture.
Experiencing Costa Rica with API
Costa Rica is a country of natural beauty, political stability, friendly people, and a temperate climate. Since dismantling its army in 1948, it has been known around the world as one of the most stable countries in Latin America and has often been a mediator in other Central American conflicts. The International Community acknowledged this contribution in 1987 by presenting President Oscar Arias with the Nobel Peace Prize.
Costa Rica has devoted itself to environmental conservation and educational achievement. Its National Conservation Areas System (SINAC) covers more than 134 areas – national parks, reserves, and refuges – comprising roughly 27 percent of the national territory. This commitment provides an abundance of natural wonders and biodiversity – a paradise for naturalists and a wealth of wildlife. The relatively small size of the country allows one to explore the beach, jungle, and mountains all in one day.
Meet Our Resident Directors in Latin America
Cities in Costa Rica with API Programs:
San Joaquín de Flores
Why San Joaquín de Flores
- Bustling town located 10 miles from San José
- Walking distance to almost everything in town
- Opportunity to immerse yourself in “Tico” (Costa Rican) culture
- 40 minutes to national parks
- 90 minutes to beautiful beaches
- Warm and welcoming locals who are eager to host students
- A unique destination for studying abroad, off the beaten path and not overrun by tourists
- The campus offers a serene, tropical garden setting for learning
Why San José
- The capital city of Costa Rica, and its political and economic center
- The famous “Pura Vida” (Pure Life) Costa Rican lifestyle
- Fantastic museums
- Close proximity to beaches, mountains and waterfalls
- Abundant parks, including La Sabana Park, the country’s largest urban green space
- San José welcomes the most visitors of any Central American city each year who are drawn to the bustling and vibrant urban environment
- San José and its province are among the most diverse in the entire country
- The magnificent and world-renowned National Theater
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
API is committed to providing enriching international experiences to its participants. We believe in the importance of promoting acceptance, dignity, and respect among people of all backgrounds. API demonstrates its commitment to inclusiveness by providing affordable and accessible programs, offering individualized support, and conducting ongoing diversity education and training for all API staff. No matter who you are or where you come from, API will support you during your journey abroad.
Read more about Latin America on our blog:
Attention high school and gap students! Are you unsure what your future holds for winter or spring 2022? We have exciting news: there is still plenty of time to apply to API gap programs! If you’re...
There is still time to apply to Winter and Spring 2022 API programs! Below please find application deadlines* for our study abroad and virtual programs for the coming terms. We’ve included links to...
Now that the world is opening back up our dreams of travel don’t seem so far away! This May we heard from API alumni (and even our own Senior VP of International Operations!) who shared their...
“I learned so much about myself and gained a much deeper appreciation for other cultures. It opened my eyes to a whole world I didn’t know about. Definitely worthwhile. I would do it again in a heartbeat!”