Gap, intern, or study abroad in
Enrich the time between high school and college in a gap program, differentiate your resume with an internship, or get class credit while you study abroad. Along the way, you’ll attend prestigious universities, enjoy career-accelerating experiences, and immerse yourself in Spain’s language, lifestyle and culture.
Plaza de España in Seville, Spain
API offers a variety of programs in in Spain six different locations, spanning the country regionally, culturally, and linguistically. If you are coming to Spain for the first time, be warned: this is a country that fast becomes an addiction. You’ll be hooked by the celebration of some local fiesta, or the amazing nightlife in Madrid, by the Moorish monuments of Andalucía, by Basque cooking or the wild landscapes and birds of prey of Extremadura.
And by then, of course, you will have noticed that there is not just one Spain but many. Indeed, Spaniards often speak of Las Españas (the Spains) and they even talk of the capital in the plural – Los Madriles, the Madrids. This regionalism is an obsession, and perhaps the most significant change to the country over recent decades has been the creation of seventeen autonomías – autonomous regions – with their own governments, budgets, and cultural ministries.
Hear from API Alumni Who Studied in Spain
Explore API programs offered in any of these exciting locations in Spain:
- Spain’s most visited city for a reason! There’s something for everyone!
- Rich Catalán culture and cuisine
- Very cosmopolitan and trendy city
- Barcelona overlooks the magnificent Mediterranean Sea
- World renowned for it’s incredible Gaudí and Modernist architecture
- Incredible art and museums
- Fabulous outdoor markets and shopping opportunities
- Great jumping off point to explore the rest of Spain and Europe
- Rich Basque history and culture
- One of Europe’s fastest-growing art scenes
- The spectacular Guggenheim museum
- Beautiful nearby beaches
- Amazing seafood and Basque cuisine, and delicious pinxtos (the local version of tapas)
- Bilbao is an urban and modern city surrounded by lush green mountains
- Vibrant nightlife and very active student population
- Expansive array of courses available
- Mid-sized town; easy to explore
- Sits at the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and only one hour from the beach
- City of the free tapas!
- The Alhambra: the “Pearl of Andalusia” and the most visited monument in Spain
- Granada is a diverse city, with a fascinating mix of cultures and heavy Moorish and Romani influences
- University town that embraces students
- Visits to the “cuevas” for Flamenco
- The unique and picturesque Albaicín and Sacromonte neighborhoods
- Capital of Spain, and the country’s center for industry, finance and culture
- Known for its elaborate parks (including the enchanting Retiro Park)
- Incredible museums and monuments, including the Prado Museum, Royal Palace, and the Reina Sofía Museum
- Widely viewed as Spain’s most progressive and socially tolerant city
- Centrally located for exploring Spain, and easy hub for European travel (London, Paris, Rome are less than 3 hours by air!)
- Madrid is a city of grand boulevards and stunning architecture
- A true “foodie paradise,” with endless opportunities for exceptional dining and access to cuisine from around the world
- Diverse variety of courses available in both English and Spanish, and opportunities for enriching internships
- The oldest university in Spain and the 3rd oldest in the world
- Salamanca’s Plaza Mayor is considered one of Spain’s most beautiful
- Active university town that attracts thousands of students from across the world each year
- A vibrant social scene and cafe culture alongside the traditional slower pace of life
- Known as the “Golden City” due to the exquisite golden glow it exudes from its sandstone buildings
- A compact and extremely walkable city – you can get just about anywhere on foot
- First Spanish grammar published here
- Incredible (and very affordable!) food
- Rich Spanish traditions (flamenco, tapas, bullfights, and more), kept alive by warm and welcoming locals
- Fantastic weather
- World-famous festivals (including Feria)
- The lovely winding streets and active public squares of the Barrio Santa Cruz (the oldest area of the city) offer insight into the past
- Magnificent sunsets over the Guadalquivir River
- Home to the 3rd largest cathedral in the world, which also houses the tomb of Christopher Columbus
- The lovely scent of oranges, courtesy of the beautiful trees that line the city streets
- Breathtaking architecture, iconic monuments and beautiful plazas
- Miles of glorious sandy beaches and more than 300 sunny days each year
- Unique and interesting architectural styles , from the 13th-century cathedral, La Lonja de la Seda, a Gothic chamber of commerce that is now a Unesco World Heritage site and La Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias.
- Valencia is the birthplace of paella! Valencian paella is typically made with chicken or rabbit, white beans and snails. If that doesn’t strike a chord with you, there the city also offers spectacular seafood and tapas
- Third largest city in Spain yet posesses a comfortable, laid back feel which lets travelers to discover the city’s unique neighborhoods.
- Art aficionados unite and see why Valencia was named 2022’s World Capital of Design
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
API is committed to providing enriching international experiences to its participants. We believe in the importance of promoting acceptance, dignity, and respect among people of all backgrounds. API demonstrates its commitment to inclusiveness by providing affordable and accessible programs, offering individualized support, and conducting ongoing diversity education and training for all API staff. No matter who you are or where you come from, API will support you during your journey abroad.
Read more about Europe on our blog:
Jan Term programs are short-term experiences that occur during January between fall and spring semesters. These 3-4 weeks make a great option to experience the world within your budget while staying...
Congratulations to our 2023 API Photo Contest winners! After reviewing hundreds of incredible student photos, we have selected our group of winners. We’ll be sharing the winners and some of our...
With school back in session, we wanted to share a recap of travel stories shared by our API Alumni this past summer! Through our #TravelTuesdays series on social media, we hope you feel inspired to...
“Studying abroad in Granada was a semester that I could only have dreamed of. Being immersed in such a unique culture was life-changing. I will always be grateful for the privilege of studying abroad with API. They provided me with the support and resources needed to explore and learn as I became more familiar with the Spanish culture.”