Gap, intern, study abroad in
Enrich the time between high school and college in a gap program, differentiate your resume with an internship, or get class credit while you study abroad. Along the way, you’ll attend prestigious universities, enjoy career-accelerating experiences, and immerse yourself in Italy’s language, lifestyle and culture.
Students in Rome, Italy
API offers wonderful opportunities to take a gap semester or year, study or intern abroad in Italy or take a virtual course and learn about and absorb the Italian culture and way of life. Italy is one of Europe’s most complex and alluring destinations. A modern, industrialized nation, with an artistic and architectural legacy that few other countries can rival, it’s also a Mediterranean country with a southern European sensibility, where traditional attitudes still prevail. Thriving small businesses contribute to strong regional identities, helping Italy avoid some of the bland effects of globalization.
If there is a single national characteristic, it’s to embrace life to the fullest in…
- The hundreds of local festivals taking place across the country on any given day to celebrate a saint or the local harvest
- The importance placed on good food and beautiful clothing
- The daily domestic ritual of the collective evening stroll or passeggiata – a sociable affair celebrated by young and old alike in every town and village across the country.
Hear from an API Alum Who Studied in Italy
Cities in Italy with API Programs:
- Breathtaking scenery and stunning architecture
- Incredible museums, galleries, and landmarks, including the Uffizi Museum, Pitti Palace, the Accademia (home to Michelangelo’s “David”), and the iconic Duomo
- The birthplace of the Renaissance, Florence is still a haven for artists and art lovers from across the globe
- Large international student community
- The opportunity to select from a wide range of unique courses in English, while taking classes in refurbished buildings that have stood for centuries
- Exceptional Italian cuisine
- A shopper’s paradise
- 45 minute train ride to the beach
- Capital city of Italy, it is known as the “Eternal City” as it has truly stood the test of time
- Friendly, warm, and inviting people
- The opulence and beauty of Vatican City, along with the iconic St. Peter’s Cathedral, the Sistene Chapel, and St. Peter’s Square
- Layer upon layer of history and culture
- Remnants of its past can be seen around virtually every corner, both grand in scale (the Colosseum, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum) and ancient ruins that you might stumble upon as you stroll through the streets
- Fantastic Roman cuisine, a vibrant cafe culture with exceptional Italian coffee, and gelato around every corner
- 20 minutes to the beach
- Italian center of filmmaking
- The epicenter of Italian finance, fashion and design
- Diverse and stunning architecture
- A very cosmopolitan urban center with an active and exciting night life
- The highly ranked Universitá Cattolica del Sacro Cuore is the largest private university in Europe and draws students from across the world
- The opportunity to experience the majesty of the world-renowned La Scala theater.
- Future host of the winter Olympics, the world has recognized Milan and its surroundings as a highly desirable travel destination that can accommodate visitors from across the globe
- Ideally situated for travel around Europe
- Breathtaking seaside views
- Ancient history abounds – the city was founded in 733 B.C.!
- Rich archaeological tradition
- Warm Sicilian hospitality
- Delicious Mediterranean cuisine
- Magnificent ancient ruins, beautiful plazas, and charming cobblestoned streets
- Unique Italian destination for students in a location off the beaten path
- Diverse array of courses with a focus on Mediterranean Studies, with opportunities for field work
- Experience authentic, small-town Italy at its best
- Exceptional opportunities for cultural immersion
- Study within medieval town walls (literally!)
- Be one of only a handful of foreigners in the town
- Exceptional views of the Italian countryside
- The opportunity to explore ancient Etruscan ruins and visit some of Italy’s most beautiful churches
- A fascinating combination of ancient ruins and the modern world
- Only 20 minutes from the ocean
Why Two Cities – Florence and Tuscania
- A truly unique program that allows students to compare and contrast two of the Italy’s most delightful destinations
- Take unique classes in English in refurbished buildings that have stood for centuries
- Experience authentic, small-town Italy in Tuscania and engage with the warm and welcoming local community
- Incredible museums, galleries, and landmarks, and stunning architecture abound in Florence
- Florence is the birthplace of the Renaissance and remains a perpetual haven for artists
- Tuscania offers the opportunity to seemingly walk back in time, and explore ancient ruins
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
API is committed to providing enriching international experiences to its participants. We believe in the importance of promoting acceptance, dignity, and respect among people of all backgrounds. API demonstrates its commitment to inclusiveness by providing affordable and accessible programs, offering individualized support, and conducting ongoing diversity education and training for all API staff. No matter who you are or where you come from, API will support you during your journey abroad.
Read more about Europe on our blog:
Attention high school and gap students! Are you unsure what your future holds for winter or spring 2022? We have exciting news: there is still plenty of time to apply to API gap programs! If you’re...
There is still time to apply to Winter and Spring 2022 API programs! Below please find application deadlines* for our study abroad and virtual programs for the coming terms. We’ve included links to...
Twenty years ago today (August 15, 2001), I walked into the API office to begin what I thought was a job. Little did I know that when I opened that door I was taking my first steps into a career that would span two decades, nor did I anticipate that this position would lead to lifelong friendships with individuals who have enriched my life exponentially and who have become like family to me.
“My time in Rome with API was, undoubtedly, the most amazing and fulfilling experience of my life. API went above and beyond the call of duty to make every minute of my time over there an absolute pleasure. It was an overwhelmingly positive experience on every level, and this was largely due to API.”