Gap, intern, or study abroad in
Enrich the time between high school and college in a gap program, differentiate your resume with an internship, or get class credit while you study abroad. Along the way, you’ll attend prestigious universities, enjoy career-accelerating experiences, and immerse yourself in Chile’s language, lifestyle and culture.
Chile’s tremendous range covers a hugely diverse array of landscapes, from the desolate moonscape of Chile’s Atacama Desert, to the fertile vineyards of the Central Valley, to the lush rainforests of the Lake District, down to the magnificent glaciers and peaks of Patagonia — not to mention more than 3,000 miles of coastline and Easter Island.
It’s truly mind-boggling to think of how many different experiences one can have in this diverse South American nation. API offers programs in three magnificent destinations in Chile – Santiago, Valparaíso and Viña del Mar.
Meet Our Resident Directors in Latin America
Cities in Chile with API Programs:
Viña del Mar
- Largest city and capital of Chile
- Nearby beaches, mountains and vineyards
- Home to a growing theater and restaurant scene
- The cultural, political and financial center of Chile
- High quality of life (ranked 3rd in South America by Mercer)
- Situated in a valley surrounded by snow-capped mountains
- Highly developed urban city, home to the tallest building in Latin America
- Internships in a wide variety of fields in both English and Spanish
- A bustling port with beautiful Pacific views and a relaxed and Bohemian flair
- Seat of Chilean Congress and home to the first public library in Chile, as well as the first stock exchange in Latin America
- A UNESCO World Heritage Site, known as the “Jewel of the Pacific”
- Access to Pablo Neruda’s homes in Valpo (“La Sebastiana”) and Isla Negra
- 40 “Cerros” or hills from which to witness the sparking ocean below
- Vibrant and robust cultural scene, home to artists, street performers, and multiple festivals each year
- Short bus ride away from Viña del Mar and its renowned beaches
- Internships available in English and Spanish
Why Viña del Mar
- Access to the Pacific Ocean and beautiful beaches with a relaxed and bohemian lifestyle
- Tourist capital of Chile
- Only 2 hours away from the Chilean capital, Santiago
- Often called the “Garden City” for its expansive and scenic parks
- Known for its vibrant art and music scene, it hosts the internationally renowned “Viña del Mar Song Competition” and a prestigious international film festival
- Fascinating museums and stunning scenery
- Mediterranean climate
- Chile’s 4th largest city
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
API is committed to providing enriching international experiences to its participants. We believe in the importance of promoting acceptance, dignity, and respect among people of all backgrounds. API demonstrates its commitment to inclusiveness by providing affordable and accessible programs, offering individualized support, and conducting ongoing diversity education and training for all API staff. No matter who you are or where you come from, API will support you during your journey abroad.
Read more about Latin America on our blog:
There is still time to apply to 2021 API programs! Below please find application deadlines* for our study abroad and virtual programs for the coming terms. We’ve included links to get you to the...
Now that the world is opening back up our dreams of travel don’t seem so far away! This May we heard from API alumni (and even our own Senior VP of International Operations!) who shared their...
by Courtney Greene, Senior VP of International Operations “The only source of knowledge is experience.” ~Albert Einstein The crowd outside the building grew increasingly restless. Weight was shifted...
“I cannot say enough good things about API. Every single aspect of my program went smoothly. From my application process, to my arrival, to my departure, everything was handled for me and that was so amazing. My on-site director was beyond helpful with ANYTHING I asked for help with and my program director in the US was the exact same! Thank you, API, for an extraordinary experience!”