API is excited to announce that we are accepting applications for our service-learning programs in Latin America for summer 2018
Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to observe, learn from and contribute to a local community abroad, while also earning academic credit, living with a host family, immersing yourself in the culture, and practicing your Spanish!
- Travel to San Joaquín de Flores, Costa Rica, or Quito, Ecuador, during one or two summer sessions.
- Select either 4-week or 8-week program options.
- Volunteer in focused projects with children or the elderly, sustainable farming or other educational programs.
- Complete a specially designed online course through Siena College, earning a maximum of 3 U.S. semester credits.
- The structure and the assignments of the course will help students set learning objectives, reflect on their intercultural and service experiences, and critically examine service-learning in an international context.
- Open to all current college students 18 years and older.
- Placements available for every level of Spanish speaker, including beginners.
Or find more details about API’s new service-learning programs by visiting the links below:
About Siena College: Siena College is a private, liberal arts college located just minutes from Albany, NY. With an enrollment of 3,000 undergraduate students, Siena College offers 30 majors, over 60 minors and certificates, and internships in the areas of liberal arts, science, and business.
About API Service-Learning: This course allows students to collaborate with community members, understand the societal systems behind social issues and learn about how organizers of local projects respond to them. While completing an online course, students observe, critically reflect on takeaways from daily experiences, learn from inspirational agents of change within the community and ultimately engage in local projects.
This course is for students who are profound thinkers, motivated to better understand their own identities and how their backgrounds affect their judgment and perceptions of the world around them. We aim to guide students towards developing a greater understanding of the value of community and what it means to be an agent of social change, while learning techniques for listening to the needs and wishes of the local community.