API is proud to offer a new scholarship opportunity for University of Wisconsin system students. This scholarship is in honor of one of our amazing alumni, Rose Simonsen Franke of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. While a student at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, Rose studied in Valparaíso, Chile through API at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso.
Rose’s passion for the South American culture and the water led her to the Valparaíso Region of Chile. She followed her dreams and lived life to the fullest. During her study abroad time, she embraced the Chilean culture and people. She became involved with the local surf community, even teaching surf lessons, and making many friends while there. After graduation, Rose returned to the country she fell in love with. She found a job and became part of the local surf community. She earned the nickname “La Gringa Loca”. Rose was known for her passion for life and adventure, her friendship and her care for the environment.
Rose’s family would like to honor her memory by giving others the chance to follow their dreams and hopefully have a similar experience in Chile. The La Gringa Loca Scholarship will provide one student with $1,500 toward a fall study abroad term in Chile.
This scholarship is available to API Chile fall study abroad program participants only. To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Be enrolled as a student at any institution within the University of Wisconsin system
- 2.5 GPA or above
- Accepted to an API Chile program and/or have submitted a complete API program application on or before the scholarship application deadline (June 10)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate a passion for adventure, sports and/or the environment.
Note: Scholarship recipients will be required to submit one blog post during or immediately following their study abroad program. The submission must comply with API’s policies regarding language and subject matter, and API will retain the rights to edit and publish this post on its social media, website and API advising materials, as appropriate.
- Letter of recommendation: Submit one letter of recommendation from a professor or assistant professor, separate from the letter of recommendation that you provided for your API program application.
- Essay #1: Write a personal essay (1 page maximum) highlighting your financial circumstances, clearly articulating your financial need and any special circumstances of which you would like API to be aware.
- Essay #2: Write a personal essay (1 page maximum) explaining why you chose to apply to an API Chile program. What was the greatest draw? What are your personal goals for your time in Chile? How do you envision this experience will impact your personal, academic or professional trajectory?
Please submit application materials to Christie Johnson, Vice President for Institutional Relations: [email protected].
In memory of Rose Simonsen Franke