API’s Response to
Review our COVID-related Withdrawal Policy here.
The changing dynamics of COVID-19 (the novel coronavirus) have impacted almost every aspect of life around the world. API Abroad is a global operation with programs in more than 20 countries, and we continue to adapt and change our program offerings in response to the continued spread of the pandemic. We remain hopeful and more committed than ever to our mission to lead advancements in global learning.
On-Site Programming for 2021 and Beyond:
As we move into the 2021-2022 year, we want our students, families, and university partners to be reassured that API is prepared to implement best practices to minimize risk on-site. API’s Student Success team is committed to guiding our international personnel to ensure that the best practices in risk management are employed by our teams around the world. On-site team members will ensure that students are informed frequently about local conditions.
Some examples of the proactive measures we will have in place on-site to minimize risk to our participants include the following:
- Requiring all students to be vaccinated prior to the start of their program abroad.
- Implementing additional testing requirements for any students who aren’t able to be vaccinated prior to their arrival.
- Ensuring that students follow all recommended quarantine measures and adhere to all public health guidance in the host country.:
- Working carefully with university partners to ensure access to virtual learning during any mandatory quarantine periods: Students can be reassured that they can continue their learning even if an outbreak or COVID-19 exposure necessitates self-quarantine or a temporary university closure.
- Offering expanded insurance benefits that allow for telehealth appointments.
- Recommending that students avoid extensive personal travel and take extra precautions following any travel outside of the host country.
- Requiring the use of masks by API team members and students (subject to local conditions and public health recommendations).
- Screening students before all API events.
More COVID-19 Resources and Information
We are excited to continue to offer immersive virtual opportunities for language immersion, entrepreneurial labs, as well as the option to study virtually from faraway places! Learn more about our program options in our program finder.
Public Resources and Websites
In addition to the CDC and State Department recommendations, API is monitoring information from WHO, the GHS Index (https://www.ghsindex.org/), DOMO Coronavirus tracker (https://www.domo.com/covid19/daily-pulse/), and IHME projections (https://covid19.healthdata.org/spain).
Mass updates affecting an entire group or program site will be posted to our website (www.apiabroad.com) and blog (https://apiabroad.com/blog/).
Financial Considerations and Cancellation Policies
Any on-site programs that API must cancel prior to the start of the program will offer full refunds of program fees to the affected students.
Students who withdraw from on-site Fall 2021, Academic Year 2021-2022, or Winter/Spring 2022 programs for personal reasons, or due to university cancellations, will be subject to the COVID-19 cancellation policies.
Students enrolled in programs for Summer 2022 and beyond are subject to API’s standard cancellation policies.
No refunds from API will be provided to students if a program is cancelled or suspended after the program start date. Find out more in the COVID-19 Policies page.
The API Blog
We have provided ongoing updates on our response to the global pandemic in our blog since February. This is where we post the most up-to-date information and is a great resource for students and families.
Have questions? We are available in a number of ways:
- Chat with us. We have a team available via chat 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.
- Email us. You can reach our team sending a note to [email protected]. If you have a financial question, reach out to [email protected].
- Call us. We are available via phones, you can reach us 1-512-600-8900 or toll free at 1-800-844-4124 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.
If you have already applied and been accepted to an upcoming API program, you can reach out to your Program Manager. They will have the most up-to-date information regarding your specific program. Should your program be cancelled due to COVID-19, we will work to do so 61 days prior to the start date and we will notify you as soon as possible.
We encourage all students interested in going abroad to continue to apply to our programs. We are actively monitoring the global situation and will be in touch with any of our students should any changes occur.
A Note from Founding Mama and President, Jennifer Attal Allen
Dear API Community,
COVID-19 has presented us with unprecedented circumstances around the world impacting all of our spring and early summer programming. Despite this, though, I remain optimistic and hopeful about our next path forward. I believe humanity is kind and adaptable, and curious to learn about the world around them. For more than 24 years, I have seen it reflected in our students on a daily basis and it’s why I remain committed to our mission.
Our team wakes up every day with passion, commitment, and enthusiasm to ensure experiential learning opportunities are available for every student. I am confident our creative spirit and resilience will allow us to weather this storm, and we remain focused on the blue skies ahead.
If you are considering going abroad in the coming months, you can trust the API team to keep you up-to-date on any changes. We continue to keep the safety and security of our students as our highest priority, especially in the midst of these unprecedented times.
Jennifer Attal Allen