Your world was transformed. Now it's your turn to transform the world.
API offers returned participants a chance to continue engaging with their international experience by sharing it with their personal, professional, and campus communities. Become an API Global Leader and learn how to integrate your international experience into your chosen career path. Inspire others to explore the world and study, intern, teach, volunteer or work abroad.
What is the API Global Leadership Academy?
Join the API Global Leadership Academy for either a semester or academic year and build core competencies of global leadership in a dynamic and creative atmosphere. Develop skills to share your experience in your community, on your campus, and in job interviews. Host fun events to tell your story and learn about the field of international education. Be empowered to transform the world in a concrete way. Leave the academy with more than just a certificate of participation - leave with an edge in the global marketplace and a strong contribution to your résumé.
"My experience in Florence last semester was an incredible experience, but that was mostly because of the API support system and community. After learning more about API's mission and the values behind the company, I am proud to be an API alum. My experience with API staff and programming in Florence was consistent with the mission and founding of the company, which I am incredibly grateful for. The staff truly felt like family by the end and personally affected my experience abroad."
Benefits of the GLA
Who is this program a good fit for?
API seeks highly motivated leaders who are eager to share the transformative power of their international experience with others. API seeks leaders who are comfortable collaborating with others to execute common goals, have demonstrated leadership roles on campus or in the community and can work independently and creatively. API seeks participants who have completed an API study, intern, gap, teach, work or volunteer abroad program.
As a member of the GLA, you will:
- Develop leadership competencies in a global context by participating monthly in both group and independent activities.
- Engage with your community by sharing your story through collaborative event planning, whether on your college campus or in the local area.
- Create opportunities for others to be transformed by international education through content-development and targeted outreach.
- Learn from experts who have successfully integrated their international experience into leadership opportunities in international organizations, including career webinars highlighting API alumni in a variety of career fields.
- Take your passion for being abroad to the next level by working closely with leaders in the international education field to develop professional skills.
- Learn more about how to apply your international experience to your career. Gain in-depth knowledge about how to appropriately reflect your international experience on a résumé, cover letter, and in job interviews!
- Earn monthly rewards that reflect the skills you've earned and the work you're doing in the program - from reflection journals to in-depth résumé and LinkedIn profile reviews, API will reward the skills you're building as an API Global Leader. Academic yearlong participants earn a travel grantupon successful program completion and semester participants have the opportunity to win a travel grant.
- Commit approximately 3-4 hours per month in the semester-long program and 10 hours per month in the academic year-long program to program participation, including interactive webinars and team-building activities.
Options to return abroad with API
STUDY ABROAD - AGAIN!
API encourages students to maximize their cultural learning by studying abroad as long as their academic and personal schedules allow!
Students who select an academic year program have a special program fee which is less than the combined cost of the fall and spring semesters.
TWO OR MORE SESSIONS ABROAD WITH API
Participants who elect to complete a second session with API, either in their original host city or in another site, will receive a discount on the second session program cost. API college, gap-year, and high school study abroad participants who complete a second program will receive a 5% discount on their second session, while participants who elect to do an API intern program during their second session will receive a $200 discount.
Any subsequent sessions selected by the participant will also result in the same respective discount structure.
API offers graduate and certificate programs in several locations that allow students to continue their advanced study and professional development abroad with API's comprehensive services and support.
API offers the following study abroad graduate programs. Programs range from 1 semester to 1 year in length, though this may vary based on the degree pursued.
- University of Westminster Graduate Programs
- University of Limerick Graduate Programs
If you’d like to pursue further studies in International Education here in the U.S., there are some great graduate programs out there. Here’s a brief list:
- M.A. in International Education and Intercultural Relations at Lesley University
- M.A. in International Education at SIT Graduate Institute
- M.A. in International and Multicultural Education at University of San Francisco
- Ed.M. in International Higher Education at Loyola University Chicago
- M.A. in International Higher Education at New York University
- M.A. in International Education Management at Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
- M.A. or Ed.M. in Comparative and International Education at Teachers College, Columbia University
- M.A. in International Training and Education at American University
- M.S.Ed. in International Educational Development from the University of Pennsylvania
- M.A. in OLPD: Comparative and International Development Education (CIDE) at the University of Minnesota
- Ed.M. in International Education Policy at Harvard University
API's international internships provide unique opportunities for participants to explore and cultivate their future career path through a high-quality, customized, credit-bearing* placement in several exciting fields and destinations. API internship programs encompass a number of career development and cultural resources to help participants maximize their personal and professional development.
API offers internship programs in 8 countries around the world, including Argentina, Australia, Chile, China, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, and Spain.
For more information on API's intern abroad programs, click here.
*Academic credit is optional for an additional fee.
Are you interested in social justice?
Do you want to support socially-driven organizations abroad?
Are you seeking to learn from and support local communities while gaining practical skills in unique professional settings?
If the answer to any of these questions is "Yes", then after your study abroad experience with API, consider magnifying your impact on the world in a positive way through a teach, volunteer, or work abroad program.
Our Teach, Work, and Volunteer division offers a variety of experiential programs for a variety of participants in 16 countries, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Ecuador, France, Germany, Guatemala, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Thailand, and Vietnam.
For more information on our teach, work or volunteer abroad programs, click here.
All students receive a Transcript Release Form in their post-acceptance online forms. By completing this form, students authorize API to forward the official transcript to a specific official/office at the student’s home university. Upon completion of the academic session, the API office receives an official copy of our students’ transcripts from the foreign host institution. We, in turn, forward the transcript to the college or university representative whom the student designated prior to their departure. This process can take as long as 2-3 months to be completed.
All official transcripts are accompanied by a cover letter explaining relevant course and credit conversion suggestions and an API translated transcript when necessary (samples available upon request). Many transcripts also receive an API translation page. Though not an official document, the API translation provides our recommendations for the number of American credit hours and grades that could be assigned for each of the courses completed abroad. We recognize that each university has its own standards and methods for translating foreign credits, so we offer recommendations based on precedence and experience.
Request Additional Transcripts
API alumni wishing to order an additional transcript can do so by referencing the information and links below. To order an official copy of your transcript click on your host country destination listed below. API directly processes and issues most additional transcript copies. In a few cases, the official transcript is instead processed by a U.S. university which serves as the "school of record" and issues the transcript. Programs that have a school of record are listed below. For further inquiries, please contact our Transcript Coordinator at 1-800-844-4124.
Most Study Abroad Locations:
- All sites - Host Institution Transcript
- San Joaquín de Flores, Costa Rica - Instituto San Joaquín de Flores (all students EXCEPT those from the University of Texas Austin) - Transcript issued by Fairfield University
- San Joaquín de Flores, Costa Rica - Instituto San Joaquín de Flores (UT Austin) - Transcript issued by Instituto San Joaquín de Flores
- Havana, Cuba (Semester) - Transcript issued by the Universidad de Habana or Marist College
- Havana, Cuba (Jan-term and Summer) - Transcript issued by the Universidad de Habana
- Harlaxton Manor, England - Transcripts issued by University of Evansville
- Florida State University, London Study Center - Transcripts issued by Florida State
- Paris (Diderot, Dauphine and some CCFS students) - Transcript issued by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Parsons Paris - Transcript issued by The New School
- Florence, Italy - Lorenzo de'Medici - The Italian International School*Program completed prior to Fall 2006* - Transcript issued by Fairfield University
- Florence, Rome, Taormina, Tuscania, 3-Cities, Venice, Italy *Program completed as of Fall 2006 or later* - Transcript issued by Marist College
- Rome, Italy - John Cabot University - Transcript issued by John Cabot University
- Syracuse, Italy - The Mediterranean Center for Arts and Sciences - Transcript issued by Fairfield University
- Lisbon, Portugal - Program completed prior to summer 2017 - Transcripts issued by UMass Dartmouth
- Madrid, Spain - Suffolk University - Transcript issued by Suffolk University