Study Abroad Programs for High Schoolers: Your Questions Answered

February 17, 2023
study abroad programs for high school

Studying abroad isn’t just for college students! API has study abroad programs for high schoolers and gap programs perfect for recent high school graduates. Studying in another country allows you to gain skills that will help you grow professionally, all while getting a head start on academics. Whether you plan to attend college, start your career, or something else all together, API study abroad programs for high schoolers can help you take your next steps!

Plus, if you do choose to start your college life abroad, API can help you transfer into one of our 500 affiliated college and university partners when you return home! 

Let’s break it down with a few of our most commonly asked questions from guardians and students. 

I just graduated high school, what kind of program should I apply for?

If you’ve recently graduated from high school, you’re eligible to apply to API’s Gap programs. We have nearly 30 gap programs that include semester, academic year, and summer internship opportunities! 

I’m a high school student. Can I go on a semester program?

If you are currently a high school student, we have three summer options. You can make sure you meet the age requirement by checking out the program’s webpage, under application requirements. When you’re ready to move forward with your application, make sure your high school transcript covers the entirety of your high school experience.

Am I allowed to travel on my own?

The short answer, yes! Students may travel independently on the weekends or sanctioned holidays. In order to do so, the student’s guardian must submit an “Off Program Permission” form at least 48 hours prior to weekend plans away from API housing. Your Program Coordinator shows you where to find this form in APIConnect. 

Will there be college students on this program?

API study abroad programs for high schoolers tend to mirror our college-level programs, so there may be college students also participating in the same program onsite. You may attend orientation and other onsite events alongside these college students. However, all housing and accommodations are separate. 

I’m a high school student, will I have a curfew?

Yes, our summer high school programs have curfews. The curfew is designed to reduce younger and less experienced students’ exposure to risk, given the increased likelihood of personal safety incidents occurring after a certain hour. 

The curfew is determined based on local conditions and normal behaviors for younger students in the host country. Your Program Coordinator will provide additional information.  

Do you provide airport pickup and drop-off at the end of the program?

We provide airport pickup and drop-off for students under the age of 18. Students will be met at the arrival airport and escorted to the orientation site. 

If traveling with a parent or guardian, it is acceptable for the student to meet the group at the orientation hotel. At the end of the program, API provides return transportation to the airport.

Do I get academic credit for this program?

Students receive their transcript after the completion of their program, even summer high school programs! During the application process, we recommend high school students talk to their academic advisors about how courses might transfer. 

One thing to note: Whether or not credits transfer is dependent on the home institution (the university or college where a student eventually enrolls). Sometimes, transferring from a study abroad program makes it easier to get into a student’s top schools!

I’m a student’s guardian. Can I also receive emails?

All students under 18 will have their emergency contact included on all email correspondence. For students over 18, guardians can make themselves a contact by including their information as an emergency contact in the “Network of Support” form located in the student’s APIConnect account. 

Take note: Guardians must ensure their student adds them as an emergency and/or billing contact. We are unable to discuss a student’s account with anyone who is not listed as a contact.

What happens if my student needs medical help?

Our stateside health and safety team will be notified and our on-site team is available 24/7 to help students with any medical issues. For all students under 18, we will be in contact with the emergency contact regarding any urgent medical issues. 

My question wasn’t answered here, what do I do?

If you still have more questions to ask, reach out to our team and let us know where you are in the process:

  • Email us at 
  • Chat us on our website Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m 
  • Connect with us by completing this form

We guarantee real, live humans read every email, chat, and form. 

Whether you’re a high school student, or a recent graduate, we want you to be fully informed of your study abroad options! Using our Program Finder, you can check out our High School Summer Abroad programs here, and our Gap Programs here.


You May Also Like…